Cleaning Your Luxury Leather Handbags
We understand a designer leather bag is an investment that must be cared for as such. While not all leathers are made the same, I’m going to give you a few tips on how to get your bag as clean as possible at home. Please remember to test a small area before the entirety of the bag.
- Always refrain from using bleach, alcohol, or ammonia based products.
- Empty the bag out completely and invert the lining, you can use a lint roller to pick up stubborn debris.
- Cloth lining and leather can be wiped down with a damp towel using soap and water. If you happen to have glycerin on hand, add it to the mixture, this acts as a neutral lubricant.
- Nubuck lining will stain if you get it wet. Spraying the lining with a waterproof sealant first will help to avoid this. This will allow the nubuck to reject the water and then it can be wiped down.
- Cornstarch is best for an oil-based stain, let it sit to allow the cornstarch to absorb the grease.
- An ink stain should be left to a professional cleaner.
- Moisturize your bag. Conditioning your bag will help add needed moisture and protect against cracking leather.
- Most designer bags come with a dust bag, use it! If not, a pillowcase work just as well. You may also want to stuff the bag to retain its shape.
A leather handbag will last a lifetime when it is treated with the quality care it requires. For ink stains or any other stubborn stain, you can’t remove on your own, let us handle it. Our team of professionals know how to treat each type of leather with the utmost care. Contact us or schedule a pickup.